The Spiritual Gift of Teaching
The concept that the present topic is trying to illustrate cuts across both the secular and spiritual. But much will be treated in this post on the spiritual aspect. The Spiritual gift of teaching.
Teaching — the act of instructing or imparting knowledge or information – is carried out by a person called a TEACHER. In the fast-growing world of today, the issue of teaching i.e. exercising the gift of a teacher, both secular and spiritual, cannot be over-emphasized. Jesus was first a teacher, then a
preacher, and finally a healer. The teaching gift is very important; without it, there would be no depth of the word to hold unto after salvation.
Who is a Teacher?
A teacher is any person who does one or more of the functions of impartation. As such, the gift of a teacher must embrace such sound instructions in the faith which is essential to the spiritual growth of Christians and the development of the Church. The Bible contains numerous passages that deal with teaching-(Matt. 4:23; Lk. 4:14; Acts 13:1-3; Romans 12:6 -8).
No wonder that teaching in the christian faith was validnica by Jesus who was called TEACHER or RABBI more than by God Himself in the book of Exodus 4:12.
God was noted here as a teacher, promising Moses that He will teach him (Moses) what to say, and God in the manner of an instructor, instructed Moses as well in the wilderness and in the desert.
The gift of a teacher matters a lot to Jesus Christ Himself Majorly in the New Testament, Jesus referenced the gift of a teacher. John 7:4 says “Jesus went to the temple and taught”,
Eph. 4:21 says, having been taught by him.” Jesus made the gift of teaching a priority while he was here on Earth.
If you teach a man about the Gospel, you give him the good news.
There will be something he can hold onto and miracles will begin to flow, that is when a teacher has made use of the Spiritual gift of a teacher.
In the Old Testament, Moses and Aaron were considered teachers of God’s commandments (Exod. 18:20) Parents were also directed to teach their children about God and His statutes.
Biblical References of People with the Spiritual Gift of Teaching in Both the Old and New Testaments
- Apostle Paul Acts (11:25-26, 2Thess. 2:15)
- Angel of God (Judges 13:6; 8-9, 12-17)
- Ashpenaz (Daniel. 1:3-4)
- Disciples/Apostles- (Matthew. 28:18-20, Mark. 6:30)
- Elijah – (Job 33:33)
- Father – (Prov. 1:8)
- God – (Exodus. 4:12; Deut. 32:10; Micah 4:2; Isaiah 2:3)
- Jesus – (Acts 1:1; Eph. 4:21; Matt 28:19-20)
- Holy Ghost – (John 14:26; 1 Cor. 2:13; Gal. 1:2)
- John the Baptist – (Luke 11:1; John 3:26)
- Parents – (Deut. 11:19-21)
- Priests/Levites – (Deut. 17:9-11)
- Moses/Aaron – (Exod. 18:16,20)
- Mother – (Prov. 31:1).
- Timothy – (1 Tim. 1:2-4; 1 Cor. 4:17).
- Your Heart – (Prov. 16:23).
Requirements Needed to Operate Effectively in the Spiritual Gift of Teaching
1. The source of the teaching must be God – (John 8:26-28; John 7:16) to attain the Spiritual gift of teaching you need to have this particular attribute in your life
2. He must teach with the authority from God – (Mark. 1:1-21,27), a person operating on the Spiritual gift of Teaching must always teach with authority from God.
3. He must be someone who gives ‘a hard saying’ i.e, he must not be a man-pleaser, but a God-pleaser to attain the Spiritual gift of Teaching – (John 6:59-60)
4. He must be unique in his teaching – (John 7:45-46)
5. He must be grounded in the scriptures to attain the Spiritual gift of Teaching- (Matthew. 4:4, 7, 10).
6. He must be an effective communicator- (Matthew. 6:9-13).
7. He must be simple, but use meaningful instruction to teach.
8. He must know the students very well- (John 2:25).
9. He must live by good examples- (John 13:15).
10. He must always be with his followers and never leave them (Matt. 28:20; John 14:18).
11. He must use simple objects and examples to drive home his/her points-e.g. washing of the disciples’ fee (John 13:2-16).
12. He must be ready to serve and not to be served
13. He must be known, recognized and addressed as teacher (John 3:2).
Anybody that is enrolled and working in the office of a teacher must carry all the attributes that made Jesus Christ a great teacher and earned Him the crown of glory.
As a teacher you need the Spiritual gift of teaching to function perfectly and inline with God pattern.
Anything short of these can lead to crisis. So as a teacher, strive hard to be there (Eternity) with the All sufficient God, who is the eternal Teacher.